Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The High School Head---The Hippest Lads In School Who Listened To The Best Rock And Roll And Blues-And Had Great Connections For The Best Dope--Were You That Guy?

The High School Head---The Hippest Lads In School Who Listened To The Best Rock And Roll And Blues-And Had Great Connections For The Best Dope--Were You That Guy?                            
                                                                                                                                         
                                                                                   " If You're Havin' Trouble With The High School Head He's Givin' You The Blues"
AC DC ---"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" 1976

I think of the high school head not as the principal you hated, or that teacher who gave you grief about everything because they thought you were going to prison soon.

The high school head to me was always that guy who always had the best dope, listened to music that took you to new levels,could teach you about the road less taken, and was pretty clear about life.

I was that person in high school. Not to brag or be a big-shot. It's not often you get called "Acid" in high school, but I loved doing hash, oil and acid. Plus a myriad of other pills and assorted concoctions. I discovered beer and booze later.

As well, I also loved doing B and E's. Yep, break ins. Out of my little crew in the small town in lived in, I loved doing it more than anything else, expect being involved in music. To me it was another education.

I always went to the best parties and concerts. But Blues was my introduction to the masters of music. For a while in the early 80's I went to Toronto and searched out blues and jazz clubs. Even when I had no place to stay or money, I just plopped myself down in an abandoned house or building. To me this was glamour despite having to stay in less than ideal surroundings.

I always wanted to work in the music business as a writer, and started writing reviews on albums and interviewed the blues cats who came through London. I was only 19.

Making money was never a big motivator for me. Probably why I hitch hiked constantly in the late 70's, early 80's, and was totally obliterated all the time. I just went. Now that I have cash in my pocket, I don't.

Funny how things change over the years. Mind you I don't do the things I did before. Your body can't do it unfortunately--especially in your 50's.

In the 90's I met a bluesman named Dee Curtis who changed everything for me, and hooked me up to other musicians to learn from. Dee is from Detroit and taught me so much about music and what it's all about.

He gave me an education you can't get anywhere. If you're in the music business you should learn from real musicians, not the wannabes or also-rans. Do yourself a favor if you're a musician or fan of blues or jazz---learn from the best. People who excel in the music business will take you where you want to go, if you follow their success and what they can offer you.

At the time I write for several small blues labels, and blues artists as well as writing guitar and gear tips, music business articles and artist profiles here on the blog.

Enjoy your life, and don't do things that aren't right for you. I realize we all have our realities and have to pay the bills, but don't regret not doing what you know you were meant for, being a great musician or in the music business.

Being the high school head, can take you on a trip that's a wild ride and take you places that excite and accentuate your life, and make it better. If you focus on it.

Like I said, the high school head is not the principal. It's either you,  or the hip lad who partied and educated you about music. And helped out a few musicians and other partiers along the way.

I don't have a social safety net of any kind, and you shouldn't worry about all that if you're a musician or otherwise. Worrying about all that won't take you where you want to go, and that's to a job or business you love! Being a musician or involved in music is the greatest gift for you or helping musicians get to where they want to go.

The High School Head--Just gave you some good news for a change. Now go out and get it!

No comments: