Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Music Business Is All About Relationships--Not Just Business

The Music Business is all about Relationships--Not Just Music Business

Picture of Jim Morrison and The Doors Manager Bill Siddons

By Mark Grove

I felt I should write another article on what the music biz is all about and what to do when going to jam sessions, concerts, watching a band or going to music seminars and workshops.

If all you do is talk about gigs, making money and the business of making music, you'll be doomed! Business should be your last priority or thing on your mind.

Not many musicians, agents, managers or music biz people try to build lasting friendships which build a foundation of trust and honesty.Then if you decide to talk about music business ,then I'll be interested.

When I go to jams I find most want to talk about making money. Then I'm put off. If you talk about how you love playing blues with other jammers, and are working on a song for an upcoming jam--I love it!

Every Musician is eventually trying to get a deal backing up other bands,label deals and doing sessions for other musicians. If you are that musician trying to get a deal--talk about creating value for other bands for free.Yes that's free.

In my last article on  creating value for other musicians, I talk about writing articles for other musicians. Write songs for them and do sessions for free as well. Creating massive value for free   and doing it out of the goodness of your heart will help you gain points with other musicians like
crazy!

If all you talk about with me is business or how shitty the economy is I'll walk. I also have an article on how the shitty economy is an opportunity to make money as a musician.

If you Have a crappy home life with the wife and the kids and don't do anything to make it better,that says something about you as well. Create value for other bands, open up for other bands for free as well--then you have my undivided attention.

Creating value and just talking about music and being positive as a person will keep you in the game building solid relationships in the music business.

No comments: